Many patients only discover a problem with their medical implants after feeling pain, discomfort or illness. Others receive the frightening news from their doctors that surgery to remove the hazard may be necessary or that they can anticipate an adverse reaction in the future.
Brais Law Firm is experienced in medical products liability recovery. Our Miami medical products liability lawyers help patients get the compensation they deserve in order to get the care they need.
We are strong trial lawyers, having taken more than 100 claims to jury verdict, and strategic negotiators throughout the settlement process. In 2014 alone, we recovered $20 million and many more millions in preceding and following years *. Review our Results page to read about some of our verdicts and settlements.
The Recall Process for Medical Devices
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the medical device industry. In order to bring a medical product to market, the manufacturer is tasked with conducting studies of its safety and effectiveness. The corporation can ignore adverse outcomes or may not ask all the right questions during its research. Once the product is on the market, the FDA must have proof of its risks of injuries to take action, which might only consist of warning labels. Usually, patients must die or become seriously ill or injured before recall is proposed. Even then, the corporation may resist, creating lengthy delays in pulling the product from the medical pipeline.
The flawed system puts control in the hands of medical corporations. Unfortunately, these companies often put profits ahead of patient health.
Recent Recalls of Medical Devices
Our law firm handles all types of medical products liability claims, including of recalled products and those that should, but have not yet been, recalled. We keep track of industry data so we understand what products are injuring patients.
Recently recalled products that you should be aware of include:
- Transvaginal meshes, which causes infection, inflammation, pain and organ perforation
- Lap bands, that perforates the stomach lining
- Metal and metal hips, that shred and release dangerous shards of metal into the body
- Cardiac defibrillators,in which the leads disconnect
- Vena cava filters that break lose and migrate to other parts of the body
- Birth control rings and IUDs, linked to blood clots, strokes, heart attacks and pain
- Bone grafts that causes severe pain, discomfort and difficulty breathing
Damages Resulting from Medical Device Defects
The types of injuries and illnesses resulting from each defective medical device vary, but generally, you may be entitled to these damages:
- Injury or illness associated with the device
- Failure to treat the underlying medical condition
- Surgery to repair or remove the defective medical device
- Disability, scarring and disfigurement
- Medical bills and rehabilitation
- Lost past and anticipated future wages
- Pain and suffering
Recover for Injuries and Illness Associated with a Defective Medical Device
Brais Law Firm can help you recover for injuries or disease related to your medical device. To learn how we can help, schedule your free case assessment with our products liability lawyers. We take your claim on a contingency basis, which means you do not pay lawyers’ fees until you recover from the negligent corporation. Our law office in Miami handles products liability claims in Florida.