Helping Families of Newborns Injured by Medical Mistakes
Learning that your newborn is the victim of a medical error transforms the expected happiness of bringing son or daughter into the world into heartache and anger. Your child now faces difficult challenges, diminished quality of life and, possibly, a shortened life expectancy because of the negligence of a medical professional you trusted. You and your child deserve justice.
Brais Law Firm is an experienced medical malpractice law firm with a reputation for delivering compassionate representation to our clients and achieving excellent results. Firm-wide, we have recovered almost $40 million in the last four years alone*. Our lawyers are members of the prestigious Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and have been named Rising Stars, Super Lawyers and Legal Elite for many years. See our Results page to learn more details about our high-dollar recoveries.
Our goal is to give your child as many opportunities as possible to live a normal and healthy life. We pursue damages that allow your family to give your child the care and treatments he or she needs now and in the future.
Medical Mistakes that Lead to Birth Defects
Birth defects are often preventable, but for an error made by the doctor, a nurse or the hospital. All too commonly, doctors fail to screen for pregnancy risks, such as the mother’s gestational diabetes, preeclampsia and weight-gain, which put babies in danger of injury. During delivery, doctors may not take necessary precautions and may fail to recommend C-section when appropriate.
Our lawyers regularly handle cases in which medical malpractice resulted in serious injuries, such as:
- Cerebral hypoxia brain injury: Oxygen flow to the child’s brain is interrupted during a long, difficult vaginal delivery or the umbilical cord wraps around his or her neck.
- Cerebral palsy: The neurological disorder impairs muscle coordination and body movement and is often caused by birth trauma or hypoxia.
- Brachial plexus injury: Damage to the nerves in the shoulder may occur when the baby’s arm becomes pinned during delivery, which may lead to Erb’s palsy or paralysis of the affected arm or hand.
Damages in Obstetric Mistake Cases
Money cannot undo the mistake your doctor made, but your rightful compensation may give your child important opportunities for treatments, medical care and quality of life improvements.
Our Miami birth defect lawyers pursue such damages as:
- Medical bills for urgent post-birth care
- Ongoing treatments for premature birth
- Future medical costs of treatments and rehabilitation
- Special needs services, education and equipment
- Mobility equipment and home alterations
- Your child’s pain and suffering
- Your loss of wages while you care for your child
- Your and your family’s losses
Recover Damages for Your Baby
Brais Law Firm is dedicated to reaching justice in medical malpractice claims. We offer you a free case evaluation and, under our contingency fee arrangement, we do not charge you lawyers’ fees until we have recovered money damages. Our firm handles birth defect claims throughout Florida from our main Miami office.