What Should You do in the Event of Injury?
- If you are hurt on the property of another notify them immediately, i.e., a store, place of business, cruise ship, yacht, parking lot, etc. If you are hurt in a car (driving or passenger) or bicycle accident, call 911.
- If you are hurt while working or as a passenger on a cruise ship, notify your supervisor (for crew) or a crewmemeber (for passenger), ask to be treated in the ship's infirmary, notify the vessel's safety officer and, depending upon the severity of your injuries, ask to be treated shoreside at the next port of call.
- If you are traveling as a passenger on a cruise ship and were sexually assaulted or raped, contact the FBI.
- If your injuries are life threatening it is the obligation of the Cruise Line to divert the ship to the nearest emergency shoreside medical facility or air evacuate you.
- Get the names, telephone numbers, e-mail and home addresses of all witnesses to your accident, i.e., those who saw the accident, know the condition of the accident scene, spoke to you after the fact from the cruise line or treated you aboard the vessel or off.
- Have the people who witnessed your accident and/or the condition of the accident scene write a short statement on what they saw and a description of the accident scene. This is very important as often times people forget specific details of what happened or how things looked as time passes. These details may have an important impact on your case.
- Take photos! If you don’t have a good camera, many cell phones are equipped with cameras. Take multiple photos of the scene as well as your injuries from different angles. Take photos even if the cruise line, store owner or other driver takes photos.
- Get a copy of all documents, i.e., statements, medical reports, medical records, medical films/scans, reports, police documents, etc.
- Follow-up with all recommended medical treatment.
- Keep notes and a daily log of all events having anything to do with your accident. Note dates, times, places, names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mails, severity of pain on a scale of 1 – 10, etc.
- While it is very difficult to think about protecting yourself after an accident, do NOT let too much time go by before you contact an attorney who specializes in the type of law governing your claim. It is your attorney’s job to protect you in the event of litigation.
The attorneys at the law firm of Brais Law Firm have the experience to protect your rights, the compassion to serve your needs, and the skill to obtain the compensation you deserve. To reach our lawyers you may click email the firm, call 800-499-0551 from within the U.S., Skype BraisLaw worldwide or click Contact Us to select and complete a form for a free evaluation of your case.