Why Hire Us
Experience, Credentials & Qualifications
- Two partners within the firm are Board Certified in the highly specialized field of Admiralty and Maritime Law.
Attorneys within and “of counsel” with the firm have tried more than 100 cases before a judge or jury.
- The attorneys within the firm and “of counsel” provide more than 65 years collective trial experience.
Results Matter! Following the firm’s decision to help only individuals Brais Law Firm has recovered over $40 Million in settlements and verdicts on behalf of our clients.
- The firm is “AV” Preeminent rated with Martindale-Hubbell, the highest peer review rating available for legal excellence and ethics.
- Keith Brais is a Member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Less than 1% of all attorneys across the United States are members of this elite group of trial attorneys.
- Keith Brais has been voted “ Super Lawyer ” by his peers beginning in 2008 and every year since. Less than 5% of all attorneys across the United States are members of this elite group of trial lawyers.
- Keith Brais is a Member of Legal Elite, which is in its 13th year of identifying prestigious attorneys chosen for recognition by their peers as exemplifying a standard of excellence in their profession.
Hire your adversary’s ex-lawyer. It’s no secret large maritime employers, cruise lines and marine insurance companies can afford to hire the very best attorneys. The attorneys with Brais Law represented these entities for nearly 20 years before making the decision to help only individuals, “those in actual need of help.”
Websites and Blogs are nice. In fact, it is the firm’s sincere hope its website and blogs inform and assist those in need of legal assistance. That said, it’s what’s in a firm’s website that matters. We hope you agree ours demonstrates the experience, compassion and skill to serve and protect you.
- Keith Brais graduated from Massachusetts Maritime Academy with a B.S. degree in Marine Engineering.
- Upon graduating from Massachusetts Maritime Academy, Keith Brais sat for and acquired a U.S.C.G. Third Assistant Engineers License, Unlimited H.P. Steam and Motor, which he later upgraded to a Second Engineers License, Unlimited H.P. Motor, having sailed on ships and worked on off-shore oil rigs in the Mediterranean, Gulf of Mexico and the West Coast of Africa.
Questions To Ask Before Hiring An Attorney?
- Have you handled claims similar to mine? If so, how many?
Our Answer: Yes, Brais Law Firm has been handling maritime personal injury, wrongful death and passenger sexual assault claims for more than 26 years. Two of the firm’s attorneys are Board Certified Maritime Lawyers, meaning the firm specializes in this field having handled more than 1,000 of these claims.
- Are you an authority in the field of Admiralty and Maritime Law?
Our Answer: Yes, please see our Reported Cases page that provides a partial list of the more than 61 published opinions in both State and Federal Courts. See also the firm’s Maritime Law Blog which provides scholarly legal analysis involving a wide variety of maritime issues.
- Does your firm include appellate expertise, sufficient to protect a great result at trial?
Our Answer: Yes, a victory at trial remains a victory only if it is upheld on appeal. We handle our own appeals, because we know the facts of your case and per the Florida Bar are considered “experts” in the field of Admiralty & Maritime Law. In total our firm has 61 reported opinions and appeals. Click “ Reported Cases ” to see examples of our work.
- Are you a frequent lecturer in the maritime field?
Our Answer: Yes, click “ Publications ” to see a history of our lecture and speaking engagements at leading Maritime seminars across the country.
- Do you have any real world experience to help a judge or jury hearing my case understand the dangers associated with maritime travel or employment? Our Answer: Yes, Keith Brais graduated from Massachusetts Maritime Academy with a B.S. degree in Marine Engineering. He later sailed on ships and worked on off-shore oil rigs in the Mediterranean, Gulf of Mexico and the West Coast of Africa during which time he upgraded his U.S.C.G. Third Assistant Engineers License, Unlimited H.P. Steam and Motor, to a Second Engineers License, Unlimited H.P. Motor.
- Does your firm have sufficient financial resources to advance necessary funds to pursue a substantial claim against a large cruise line, corporation or marine underwriter who typically mount a vigorous and expense defense?
Our Answer: Yes, the firm’s Results, in particular, over the last several years provide the firm with substantial financial resources. In one particular wrongful death case, the firm advanced close to one million dollars taking nearly 50 depositions in three countries, hiring nationally recognized liability and damage experts, etc.
- Do you have insight into the defense or particular defendant from having formally represented defendants, or have you always only represented plaintiffs?
Our Answer: Yes, for the first 19 or so years of Keith Brais’ legal career he represented numerous maritime employers, cruise lines and marine underwriters. He is vastly familiar with defense tactics and how and why defendants and underwriters do what they do. This includes, insight into what generally causes a defendant to settle or not settle a case. Mr. Brais applies this valuable experience to help only individual plaintiffs and has done so now for nearly ten years. See the firm’s Results to determine for yourself if you believe Mr. Brais’ diverse legal experience substantially helps the firm’s clients.
- Have you tried a seaman’s, passenger’s or other type of maritime case to a verdict?
Our Answer: Yes, our most recent example is a $1.18 Million dollar verdict involving the passenger of a Jet Ski, who suffered a serious leg fracture requiring surgery with pins and rods when another Jet Ski operator collided with her. For a more complete list of recoveries on behalf of the firm’s clients please click Results.
- Does your firm have sufficient experience to increase the likelihood of a more favorable outcome of my case?
Our Answer: Yes, collectively the firm’s attorney have 65 years of trial experience, with two attorneys specializing in the field of Admiralty & Maritime Law for the past 44 years.
- Do the attorneys within your firm possess impressive credentials and qualifications? Are they in good standing with the Florida, Texas and Massachusetts Bars?
Our Answer: Yes, please see the above or click Credentials & Qualifications to see a partial but impressive list of professional accomplishments.
Contact the Firm for a Free Evaluation
Our firm’s primary office is located in Miami, FL, although we routinely handle claims throughout the state of Florida and from satellite offices located in Houston, Texas and Boston, Massachusetts on an appointment basis. To reach our lawyers call 305-416-2901 from within Florida, 800-499-0551 from within the U.S., or click Contact Us to complete a form for a free evaluation of your case and to learn how Brais Law Firm might be able to help you.